

STAC Meeting: 2/5/2019
Meeting begins at 2:03

Kelly leads Introductions
Daron VPCA
Jared Marshall
Erica GSA
Cyril Revelle
Ben 6th
Priscilla Warren WTCC Chair
Pilar ERC
Myah SSC
Heather Belk
Josh Kavanaugh

Kelly: Any college Reports? Some members used the google form last time which was great

Jared: Theft concerns with overnight parking? Students felt that the priority should be commuter permits and that the threat of theft from overnight parking is overstated

Pedal Club removed? This was a supported program for some commuter students that would like to see it return

Possibility for reduced cost for commuter parking permits or increasing cost for resident permits?

Concern that buses aren't filled at midnight and would rather have more buses during the working hours. However, buses run more frequently during the day, right?

Josh: Yes, much more frequently

Cyril: Microwaves in the commuter lounges need to be cleaned

Kelly: That can be taken care of, I'll work on addressing that

Pilar: RA's are complaining about not having parking spots in Pangaea

Josh: They reached out to me as well, we are in the process of working with the right admin partner to address this need

SSC: Working to increase number of bike racks, SSC is working on upcoming bike events, working on a repair-and-adopt bike event for abandoned bicycles on campus

Curt: Each quarter per the referendum agreement we are given 3rd week enrollment numbers (and take away medical/pharmacy residents because they don't pay the transportation fee) \$36.47 per student with a total of 36269 students currently enrolled

Over 4% of students dropped from Fall to Winter quarter so we update MTS on this number change, which results in a lower invoice from them for service

Projected cost is about \$4million for the year

Based on anticipated ridership a price per quarter is calculated and the referendum is written based on that calculation.

This has been done quarterly since the 2014 referendum passed

The 2nd referendum negotiation agreement has begun so we'll be working with procurements who represents the university which will be responsible for drafting the language of this agreement, which will go into effect Fall of 2019

Josh: Regarding Marshall college reports, we'll continue looking at designated residential parking areas

Regarding pedal club, this still exists but the complementary 10-day parking permit is rolled back for Undergraduate students. Cannot be rolled back yet for Graduates because of labor relations contracts

Moving away from free parking incentives because it tends to encourage bad behavior and manipulation of the resource and diminish the value of paid parking. This incentive will likely be replaced with something else, but will not return.

Cost difference between residential permit and commuter permit would be interesting to discuss as a committee, would be very interested in hearing if STAC can reason through that and come to a solution

Over the next 6-7 weeks the Transportation budget will be finalized. Budget choices are often a reflection of policy choices, so now is the time to be talking about policies to better understand current situation for Transportation budgeting. The 4:30pm upgrade that occurs for student permits could be reviewed for example to adjust the time of day that this happens, which is wrapped up in policy and can be assessed and addressed at a policy level.

Scary behavior has been reported for rider-hailed vehicles that are being dropped off illegally and unsafe stops occurring in heavy construction areas, so that is going to be addressed with better lined loading zones

Was hoping we could have a brief discussion regarding Superloop/Arriba Nobel route changes. Any feedback from students on this change?

Daron: mostly people have been dramatic on the Facebook meme page

Jared: where I used to live I always would take the 202 and can imagine this would have been really helpful late at night for getting home. Have heard other people say it's not a popular route late at night though.

Pilar: change in the 41 route is great, saves time by not stopping for 10 mins at the VA.

Erika: interested in hearing more about changes in ability for permit upgrades in the evening, so that late-night parking can happen closer to buildings and well-lit areas

Curt: specific instructions about upgrade eligibility for permit usage should be indicated on the back of each individual permit

Daron: Which population has higher demand for parking permits? Commuters or residents?

Josh: Commuters. Resident commuter justification is mostly justified by some students needing quick access to groceries/internships but a single space for a resident could also serve several commuters as they come and go throughout the day, so it is a high cost on the space resource

Would encourage reps to try to gain a well-rounded opinion by talking to both residents and non-residents about their parking needs. Would also be interested in seeing what STAC can identify as a solution to this issue.

Jared: it seems like parking is a necessity for commuter students much more than for residents, because they need it in order to get to class.

Also as long as resident parking occurs in an active lot that has levels dedicated to other types of parking, it doesn't seem like theft would be an issue

Josh: the thought for resident permits having a dedicated location would be to put them all in a lot like Regents, which wouldn't have this type of active usage throughout the day and could become susceptible to theft

Jared: Regents doesn't seem like a good option for this. But maybe if a specific amount of spaces were painted in structures to be specifically for residents this would be a good compromise

SSC: I would prefer the fee increase for residents instead of painting dedicated resident spaces, to keep space use flexible for as many students as possible

Josh: The fee difference can be tied to the permit itself so that residents can only buy a resident permit at an increased rate. This would just ensure that only residents that need a car on campus are willing to purchase one and those that don't need their vehicle here will opt to leave it somewhere else

Kelly: permit prices will gradually go up over time. Perhaps we can grandfather current students' permit cost during their time here on campus, so that the fee increase impacts future incoming students but doesn't impact current students that are already here

Daron: I remember when you first started on campus we talked about dynamic supply and how numbers of individual types of spaces can adjust and change over time. Can we explore reexamining these ratios to be dynamic in current or new structures?

Josh: There's a first-come, first-served situation currently to try to accommodate all the different types of campus members that travel to campus and need parking, we have not explored spaces that change type over the course of the day or week but it is something we can begin to work on soon

We have also started to work on conflict around spaces that occurs right at 9am for flex-carpool spaces, as in people actually fighting each other over spaces. We may need to scale back supply of these spaces if they are not being utilized enough by carpoolers, time of the turnover could also be adjusted. Because of clean-air policies regarding mandated number of spaces per structure, these spaces going away would potentially require them to become another type of clean-air space rather than simply becoming an S or B spot

Curt: as a follow up regarding peak parking usage, spot checks have confirmed that structure spaces reach capacity or near-capacity from 12-2pm.

Kelly: Gilman bridge ribbon cutting ceremony is coming up this Thursday, so be sure to attend if available

Commuter program to distribute power banks and flyers and MTS hand sanitizers soon

As a summary of items for today:

This is decision-making season for Transportation topics such as updating policy on upgrade time and non-parking incentives for students

Please continue to ask your constituents for input on resident parking solutions

Josh: Can these items be added to the next meeting's agenda?

Kelly: yes, absolutely. I will add them.