Alexis Orrick

Senior Associate Vice-President of Student Advocacy

asadvocacy@ucsd.edu

858-534-5920


Hi everyone! My name is Alexis Orrick (she/her/hers) and I am the Sr AVP of Student Advocacy. My responsibilities include reviewing University policy on Academic Integrity and Student conduct, as well as provide interpersonal services for students who need help navigating this process. Outside of AS I am a third year Comparative Politics major and the President of the UCSD Salsa Club. I do not have regular Office Hours, but email is the best way to reach me if you’d like to meet up and discuss anything relating to Academic Integrity and Student Conduct. Feel free to reach out!

Weekly Reports

Week Summary
05-08-2019
10-30-2019
11-13-2019
10-30-2019
11-06-2019
12-04-2019
11-20-2019
11-27-2019
01-01-2020
12-18-2019
12-11-2019
01-08-2020

Outreach Hour

 

Senator Project Updates

 

 

Internal Committee

 

 

External Committee

 

 

Summary

I held two office hours, met with my AS Fellows, held a board meeting and an office meeting, and attended two additional meetings with students. I also attended the Integrity Committee where we discussed the ethics of "Tutors for Hire" in a preliminary discussion to outline academic policy about using such external tutors.

 

01-22-2020

Outreach Hour

 

Senator Project Updates

 

 

Internal Committee

 

 

External Committee

 

 

Summary

I held two office hours this week, met with AS Fellows, held a board meeting, an office meeting, and met up with Eleanor. We are continuing to develop teams who will work on various outreach projects and will be meeting with an international students' group next week.

 

01-29-2020

Outreach Hour

 

Senator Project Updates

 

 

Internal Committee

 

 

External Committee

 

 

Summary

I held two office hours this week, a board meeting, and an office meeting. I had to cancel the AS Fellows meeting on Mondaybecause I was sick, but one of the fellows sent a requested summary of his shadowing office hours experience (it sounds like it went very well!) and the other fellow has skipped all our meetings this coordinator so I will be emailing the AS Fellows coordinator this week. We also took professional photos of the advocates this week for our website, and we want to redesign the physical space of our office to include a "Meet Our Advocates" bulletin board with photos and bios. Our outreach interns have now been divided into projects, and will be creating an instagram for our office and working on an event to collaborate with ISPO. We also set up a social meeting with the AI peers from Academic Integrity and have begun planning that.

 

02-05-2020

Outreach Hour

 

Senator Project Updates

 

 

Internal Committee

 

 

External Committee

 

 

Summary

This week I held 3 office hours, an office meeting, a board meeting, and met with my AS fellows. We had a student conduct training on different types of meetings this week, and our outreach interns met up to create our instagram (yay!) and plan for a study event we plan to have at the end of the quarter. We also finalized the order for new advocate polos and initiated the process of ordering a sign to better direct students to our office.

 

02-12-2020

Outreach Hour

 

Senator Project Updates

 

 

Internal Committee

 

 

External Committee

 

 

Summary

I held three office hours, an office meeting, and a board meeting. I also met with Patricia Mahaffey to discuss our plans for the evaluation of Academic Integrity policy regarding the role of student advocates, how we can better support Deans in handling Academic Integrity cases, and processes within AIO that we want to better evaluate. I lead a workgroup with advocates to start the conversation about this evaluation, then ran a lot of the ideas by Patti in preparation for my presentation to the Deans in 2 weeks.

For outreach, we completed a TAP form for our international student outreach study event where we will have free boba and an information table in the Green Table Room on March 5th (2-5pm). We are hoping to reach international students and let them know who we are and where they can get academic and nonacademic conduct support - as this constituency tends to have the most questions and concerns about those topics.

 

02-19-2020

Outreach Hour

 

Senator Project Updates

 

 

Internal Committee

 

 

External Committee

 

 

Summary

This week I had 3 office hours, held an office meeting to discuss our evaluation of the AI process / policy, held a board meeting, attended an informal resolution meeting for a student organization, and helped students over email revising written documents. I am also currently prepping for a meeting next week where I will have an opportunity to speak to the Deans and ask about AI policy, process, and their thoughts on the role of our office. I have prepared a list of questions to ask.

For outreach, we are tabling at the DREAM conference this week to outreach to prospective students on campus (specifically catered to undocumented students. We also finished a TAP form for our boba and study event we are hosting week 9.

We are also planning to redecorate our office with advocate photos and bios, as well as redesigning the whiteboard to have more useful information for our advocates. We will probably spend a couple hours next week decorating, but that is TBD.

 

02-26-2020

Outreach Hour

 

Senator Project Updates

 

 

Internal Committee

 

 

External Committee

 

 

Summary

This week I held three office hours and had a meeting with the Deans of Student Affairs. During my meeting with the Deans I reintroduced them to the organization of our office (which has changed significantly over the years) and taught them how to book an appointment with us so they can help students. We also discussed ways our office can be more in contact with them in supporting students.

I had to let go of one of our AS fellows because he has had extremely poor attendance, so I had a conversation with him this week and told him I don't think it makes sense to continue give consistent issues (and 2 previous conversations) but told him to contact me if he ever has interest or questions in the future. The AS Fellowship team is aware of this.

My directors held an office training on Residential Life policies, and we have been in contact about designing the redecoration of our office and getting photos of our advocates printed to put on the wall. We have also been planning our upcoming outreach event for international students, where we will have boba and an informational table set up to hopefully attract international students and teach them about our office and what we do.

 

03-04-2020

Outreach Hour

 

Senator Project Updates

 

 

Internal Committee

 

 

External Committee

 

 

Summary

This week I held three office hours, a board meeting, and an office meeting where we discussed office hours and my meeting with the Deans last week. We also had a 3 hour outreach event with free boba and a room for people to study - which was very successful despite low advertising! We think this is effective outreach and will plan more events like this in the future (with more advertising). We also required that to receive free boba people had to follow us on social media, so we have acquired more followers to launch our preventative campaign for academic integrity.

We also had an outreach meeting and presented for a res hall in ERC, explaining to residents who we are and how we can help in AI/SC cases. We are hoping to establish a relationship with Res Life so we can do more before Sun God - as res life policies change for the week leading up to the event and there are more rules for people to follow. We want students to be able to come to us with policy questions!

I am currently signing up for new academic integrity work groups and committees next quarter and plan to meet up with the AI Director to discuss a policy flaw that we believe is not allowing students to pursue a fair and logical process. 

 

03-11-2020

Outreach Hour

 

Senator Project Updates

 

 

Internal Committee

 

 

External Committee

 

 

Summary

This week I've had 5 meetings with students, a board meeting, attended a Student Conduct review over Zoom, and tomorrow I will attend the Integrity Committee Meeting. Our Office has had a relatively smooth transition to remote work, and I spent finals week and spring break preparing my advocates for holding meetings on Zoom. We've had no reported problems so far, but I will be closely monitoring the cases we have that pertain to students working remotely.

As far as outreach, we are hoping to collaborate with a number of organizations on campus to create infographics that give students tips about dealing with remote living (relating to student conduct and academic integrity). We hope to combine forces with many organizations to disseminate important messages, and especially integrity concerns that arise from taking exams online. My outreach team is beginning to talk about which offices to collaborate with, and next week will split into teams to start reaching out.

 

03-18-2020

Outreach Hour

 

Senator Project Updates

 

 

Internal Committee

 

 

External Committee

 

 

Summary

This week I had two appointments with students, a board meeting and our first office meeitng to discuss the new policy changes. It went really well, and we finally were able to pin down a meeting time that will work for everyone weekly. I also met with Nicolette to discuss my concerns about one of the policy changes and my concerns about keeping the privacy of our students. Our external director also went to the programming seminar to come up with ideas on how we can do outreach this quarter and online events.

Overall our Office is adapting well to the changes, and I am continuing to make trainings and be more vigilant about our email to make sure we are serving students as best we can! I am also working on infographics we can distribute to senators and other on campus resources to disseminate to our constituents.

 

03-25-2020

Outreach Hour

 

Senator Project Updates

 

 

Internal Committee

 

 

External Committee

 

 

Summary

This week I held a board meeting, office meeting, met with my exec, and held 2 virtual office hours. I also prepared trainings for the next few weeks, helped many students with questions over email, and created an infographic that helps students understand the first basic steps of academic integrity.

 

04-01-2020

Outreach Hour

 

Senator Project Updates

 

 

Internal Committee

 

 

External Committee

 

 

Summary

This week I developed trainings for the next couple of weeks, dividing our advocates into outreach teams with various projects for the quarter, held a training on supporting emotional and international students, and had a board meeting to discuss further trainings and outreach.

I also met with Tricia and Eleanor to discuss AS's role in promoting integrity and attended the Integrity policy committee (first one of this quarter). In the meeting with Eleanor we brainstormed ideas that AS could get involved, and how we could frame Academic Integrity in the form of equity to get more support in AS and from the general student body. In the policy committee we discussed the topics we will be discussing for the quarter - and I am very excited as we are going to address concerns I've had all year about AI policy and procedure.

 

04-15-2020

Outreach Hour

 

Senator Project Updates

 

 

Internal Committee

 

 

External Committee

 

 

Summary

This week I held two office hours and attended a review for an academic integrity case. I also held a training to go over AI policy and a board meeting to discuss office affairs. I am currently having my office review the agenda for the Academic integrity policies and procedures committee to see if there is anything we'd like to add, and continuing to have the outreach team use social media. We also made a list of merchandise (with quotes) we'd like to purchase as an investment for next year if that is permitted. I also worked on transition documents and scheduled a training with student conduct for week 7, as well as started on a presentation I will give to the AI peers next week.

My newest initiative is to create a work group of advocates interested in helping with the creation of infographics to present policy documents in a student friendly way. I want to put a list of infographics as a page on our website, and make them useful to our partner offices as well. This week I got a list of advocates interested and will schedule our first work group meeting for next week.